Your Insider’s Guide:
Grand Canyon North Rim Vacations
Welcome to Grand Canyon North Rim
Experience the Solitude
One of the Grand Canyon’s greenest, friendliest, and all-around north-iest rims! There are plenty of activities to captivate locals and tourists alike. The North Rim makes for a blooming, naturistic atmosphere than it’s sibling rims, providing much more wildlife and a forestry scenery to its visitors. Activities such as hiking, camping, landscape and wildlife sightings, a scenery full of photography opportunity, mule rides, and scenic drives will provide an extremely bountiful Grand Canyon North Rim vacation getaway!
The best part about the North Rim, if you ask us, is that this side of the canyon captures the essence of being undiscovered and out of sight of the crowds of tourists. Even at the peak travel and vacation season, it is no sweat to experience the kind of solitude one would hope for when visiting a location such as the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. If solitude is high up on your vacation want list, then this may just be the rim for you.
- We drive so you can connect with friends and family
- Stress-Free Vacation Planning!
- Our travel experts maximize your time at the Grand Canyon
- Pre-Planned Trips that are Ready to Book
- With dozens of lookout points, we take you to the best photo spots
- Day trips, multi-days and private tours available
- Luxury transportation
- All entry fees and taxes are included
- Pick up and drop off at your hotel
Explore the Possibilities
Toroweap: A Closer Look
Positioned 3,000 feet above the Colorado River and is located in a remote location of the North Rim you will find the one and only Tuweep Campground! Renown for some of the most phenomenal, awe-inspiring, and voted best views of the Grand Canyon by 9/10 tourists. A trip over to Tuweep provides the opportunity for an uncrowded, unique, and a ‘diamond in the rough’ experience, if you will. This is because access is difficult to any layman Grand Canyon visitors and demands terrain knowledge and skilfully weaving through a higher difficulty level of roads. Thankfully with DETOURS, we know all the tips and tricks to get you to those.
Sightseeing at Toroweap Overlook
The overlook at Toroweap can provide those who are determined to make the trek an incredibly unique new perspective on the Grand Canyon from any other rim, including sights such as the Colorado River.
Camping out at Tuweep Campground
Pitch a tent at one of the most photogenic campgrounds you’ll ever have the experience of sleeping in. One of the greatest sights about the Grand Canyon would be its sunrises and sunsets. Now, imagine the best part of the Grand Canyon at one of the most critically acclaimed viewing points of said Grand Canyon!
Tuweep’s Hiking Trails
For those interested in hiking, two trails are available from Tuweep: The Tuckup Trail, which provides those daring enough to make the hike views of Esplanade slick-rock, and Saddle Horse Loop Trail, a loop that includes closer views of the Colorado River.
Know Before Visiting Toroweap
- High clearance vehicles required and camping requires special permits, so we don’t recommend taking this vacation without a DETOURS guide or someone else who is familiar with the area and knows what they’re doing.
- There is no water, gas, food, lodging, or phone service located at Toroweap Overlook. This is a remote location of the Grand Canyon however don’t let the lack of necessities stop you – it’s just information one needs to know before visiting! When coming along with DETOURS, we provide water and use our gas! Unfortunately, we cannot do anything about the phone service, no matter how high we can stand on each other’s shoulders.
- Summer brings monsoonal rain and lightning, which is generally accompanied by snow and freezing temperatures! However, if you don’t mind the cold weather, it makes for some incredible photo opportunities! One of the best locations in the Canyon, as a matter of professional opinion. If you’re planning on visiting Toroweap during your Grand Canyon North Rim vacation, ensure to bring something to keep warm. We recommend long sleeves, closed toe shoes, hot pads and coffee.
More Scenic Spots & Activities
Whether you are looking to spend the night, enjoy panoramic views from one of the highest overlooks or venture to the trails, the Grand Canyon North Rim will not disappoint.
Grand Canyon the Way You Want
Grand Canyon North Rim Vacations & Tours
Luxury Private Tours
Whisked away in the chariot that is SUV, travel to the exact location where some of the most famously photographed areas of the Canyon are taken. See for yourself some of the immense beauty that this world has to offer. See the sights with your own eyes and take a deep breath, for you will see first hand a prime example of nature’s gift to the world in its finest degree. To be quite frank, getting to Toroweap as an individual is possible, however it is tedious. DETOURS can take care of the hassle of all the logistics of your trip – Allow yourself to focus on what’s really important, your Grand Canyon North Rim vacation!
The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is best known for its incredible outdoor, camping atmosphere. Toroweap is best known for it’s camping excursions and lovely sights. It’s difficult to jam pack a single day itinerary with all the possibilities, locations to explore, and sights to see! For those looking for the ultimate experience, a multi-day tour is the way to go! Spending not one, but two or more days up at the North Rim is the only way to see it all. Not only do you allow yourself the luxury of time, but you also give yourself the option to add multiple locations onto your tour! Interested in any of the other rims? You just tell us where you want to go, and we’ll build your dream itinerary!
Great Stories from Our Local Travel Experts
Other Nearby Destinations
At DETOURS, we specialize in creating the ultimate Southwest vacations for every type of traveler. Whether you have one day, a few days or even weeks, we can customize your dream vacation. The Southwest has so much to offer and even more destinations are closer than you think!